Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Power (Company) to Change Minds

As a football-loving, carnivorous, heterosexual male, I thought that a
trip to see a contemporary dance company would be equivalent to castration
without the benefit of anesthesia.

I couldn't have been more wrong if I told you that five plus two
equals bagel. Quite frankly, I was more engaged and interested in this artistic
medium than I ever imagined I could be.

Allow me to elaborate: As someone with a background in physics, I
marveled at the dancers' ability to craft motion to music. More
specifically, and interpretative motion formulated by a human mind in
response to a mechanical wave passing through matter which, in itself,
generates its own motion.

Could I grasp the entire story behind the dance? No! And I didn't
want to, either. As the proud owner of a scientific mind, I was
delighted to be presented with a performance that would be organic,
mysterious, unique, and yet choreographed to the most minute detail.
Life is no fun if the answers are spoon-fed to us. I found the Power
Company provided a vibrant and enigmatic artistic medium that even a
die-hard gearhead like myself could appreciate. I look forward to
their performance later this month!

No comments: