Wednesday, October 15, 2008

John Experiences the Power of Imagination

Last night with the Power Company really answered this big question for me:
When you think of modern/contemperary dance do you think of lots of random movements with no apparent story line? This was my intepretation of this mysterious art form...before i met The Power Company.

As cloudy as it seemed this mystery was clarified when I was informed that I did not have to understand a single thing. It was perfectly ok to come to a performance, sit through each piece, and not understand a single thing or relate to anything. This in and of itself could be your experience.

However, I found it really helpful to have some emotion handy when I watched these rehearsals. You see, each audience member will have their individual experience and interpretation of the performance. Everyone has their own emotions and imagination and to bring this to a modern/contemparay dance performance is exetremly important. Let your emotion sit on one side of you and your imagination sit on the other and you will have a great advantage in interpreting the art form. Personally, I was better able to get something from the rehearsals when I pumped a little imagination and emotion into what my eyes were seeing.

Think of it like watching an old TV show with the sound turned down and making up your own story.

1 comment:

Carolina Culture by Jeffrey Day said...

Japanese conductor man has a name.